The Daily News

LFCA Latest Issue: Friday, September 25, 2009.

Latest Post on BlogHer: Parenting after Infertility.

My Status: Fed Josh's almonds to the squirrels. They needed them very badly.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Bong Trees are Back (Children Mentioned)

Even though we do not actually celebrate Christmas, you may remember from last year ChickieNob and the Wolvog's* fascination with sparkle lights. They made me drive around town like junkies, grunting with each sighting, "sparkle lights!" Followed immediately with "more sparkle lights."

They have been heavily anticipating the advent of sparkle lights this year, reciting little monologues as we get in the car, "right now it is fall. The leaves fall down. And then it is winter. And out come the sparkle lights! Hello, sparkle lights!"

There is an office complex at a cross section of two major streets and they have wound around each tree in their parking lot a complex series of white lights. It is magical when you are driving down the hill towards this thin forest of light-encrusted trees. The first night the twins saw it last year, ChickieNob sucked in her breath and said, "we found it. This is the land where the bong trees grow."

Sure enough, it looked exactly like the bong trees in the version we own of the Owl and the Pussycat.

And tonight, I am happy to report, the bong trees were lit. And the three Jews, preparing for Yom Kippur, smiled with excitement and said, "the sparkle lights have returned."

It's a good night.

*Michele and Jenna Sais Quoi are correct. ChickieNob and the Wolvog are from Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake. The reason why these names fit perfectly is forthcoming.

4 comments:

Jess said...

Seriously Mel, this is hilarious in its cuteness. I even read it to my husband it was so great. :)

Geohde said...

This is terrible, but where I come from a 'bong' is a device designed to inhale marijuana fumes :)

Bong trees is rather funny in that particular context.

J

Anonymous said...

I agree with the high cuteness factor, but seriously? They have Christmas lights up? It's not even Halloween for crying out loud! *shakes head at crazy company with high electric bill*

Michele (Moosh) said...

OOO OOO OOO!!!! My name made the Stirrup Queens website!!! Whoopie! LOL

And I stink at Jeopardy so I can't believe I got Wolvog right!

Sooo cute about the kids and their sparkly lights. Makes the season very magical, doesn't it? I hope someday everyone who wants children will be able to experience the season of lights with their own kids. I wish that about as much as I wish for Peace on Earth.