I may be totally off with that last comment. We only watch the Food Network at night. There is possibly this entire daytime Food Network underworld that is happening without our knowledge. Perhaps The Hearty Boys are still cooking up a storm for the cameras.
I'm talking as if I know who the Hearty Boys are. I don't. This is our first foray into a commitment to a reality tv show. We've tried to do it in the past and haven't gotten far in the process. But we are fully commited, have blocked off Sunday nights on the calendar, and have set our alliances with our favourite contestants.
I currently have two favourites: Jamika and Michael. I think either one could win it and I'd watch both if they had their own show. I think Jamika has a good chance of winning because she's sort of that quiet one who holds back and doesn't play it too loudly and will keep getting through each episode until she turns it on at the end. Michael has my heart and I think his recipes are interesting. I wish he'd tone them down a bit, make the food a bit more accessible (oh my G-d, I so want a job discussing the Food Network shows). But I think he's creative and fun and watchable.
Since we're still early in the show, I'd like to place my bets on the order of elimination. We all know that Jen and Brett are gone, which leaves us with 8 left. I think it will go in this order and for these general reasons:
- Jen (her food was the least interesting in that challenge--it sort of sucks to be judged by one recipe)
- Brett (he was inconsistent AND he'd shit on a fellow contestant. If he didn't want to help her, he shouldn't have helped. But once he did, he needed to close his mouth about it and not point out her foibles)
- Eddie (he talks a lot and says nothing and they haven't been impressed with his cooking thus far)
- Teddy (he doesn't seem to bring anything new to Food Network and he's so focused on his catchphrase that he's sort of missing the larger picture)
- Katie (she will last this long because they really want her dietican angle, but she isn't growing enough as a television personality nor as a chef so they'll let her go)
- Melissa (her food is good, but she'll mess up big time with one of the challenges and leave with a big, teary goodbye. I don't know why the pot is mocking the kettle because we're both big weepy messes)
- Debbie (she is never going to last until the end, even though I think she has a great angle in terms of her food preparation. I think she has a tendency to either grate or embrace and the Food Network can't afford to go with someone who pouts so openly on camera)
- Jeff (I think he'll get close to the end, and I'm sure his food is probably the best out of the group, but I think he's missing a spark necessary to catapult him from the camera into the viewer's home)
- Jamika (I hate to eliminate her at all, but I think she'll lose out to Michael's big personality)
- Michael will win, become best friends with Alton Brown, and get an invite to the Food Network's coveted Christmas special.