The Daily News

LFCA Latest Issue: Friday, September 25, 2009.

Latest Post on BlogHer: Parenting after Infertility.

My Status: Fed Josh's almonds to the squirrels. They needed them very badly.

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Circle Time: The Show and Tell Weekly Thread

Show and Tell is wasted on elementary schoolers. Join several dozen bloggers weekly to show off an item, tell a story, and get the attention of the class. In other words, this is Show and Tell 2.0. Everyone is welcome to join, even if you have never posted before and just found out about Show and Tell for the first time today. So yank out a photo of the worst bridesmaid's dress you ever wore and tell us the story; show off the homemade soup you cooked last night; or tell us all about the scarf you made for your first knitting project. Details on how to participate are located at the bottom of this post.

Let's begin.

I am beginning early with one of my New Year's resolutions for this upcoming year: I am going to tell people how much they mean to me as often as possible. I am going to tell the people I love that I love them every chance I get and I am going to make sure that people hear me (or...I guess read...) describe why I think they are wonderful. And so I present Jodi.

Jodi lived here in D.C. for many years and I met her first through my cousin where she did volunteer work for my cousin's programs. Later on, we realized that our lives were crossed via many mutual friends which means, of course, that our relationship was fate, kismet, meant-to-be.

Jodi now lives far away, but every once in a while, the phone rings without warning and she informs me that she is currently a few streets away and would I like to grab coffee. The answer is always yes. Getting that phone call from her is like finding a ten dollar bill tucked into the bottom of your wallet. Being with her is comfortable and comforting--we can always jump right back into the conversation we left behind a year or so earlier.

If you are not lucky enough to have met Jodi, the first thing you should know is that she is very funny in a dry sort of way. She is intelligent and funny, which is a fantastic combination. She is also sassy and Southern and can drink beer with the boys and spill out her feelings AND still save the world (she has one of those "save the world" sorts of jobs). She is, in a word, amazing. I am constantly worried that she will stop calling me when she comes into town because she often needs to endure my long lists of why she should move back to D.C. (on the list today: I will make her a Smith Island cake, I will take her with me to Shepherdstown, and she will be introduced to every Tim I ever meet).

While we were sitting at coffee, I asked her if she could be my show and tell tonight and she started laughing. I wish my camera worked faster because I didn't really capture how deeply she laughs. I think her laugh is a sign of how deep her heart goes--that she can laugh with her entire body is a rare thing. This may not be the way she sees herself, but this is how I know her.



Isn't she lovely?

What are you showing today?

Click here or scroll down to the bottom of this post if this is your first time joining along (hint: link to the permalink for the post, not the main url for your blog and use your blog's name, not your name). The list is open from now until late Tuesday night and a new one is posted every week.

Other People Standing at the Head of the Class:

1. Tales of the Phoenix
2. Conceive This!
3. Life After Infertility & Loss
4. Tarah
5. Holly
6. Delenn
7. Baby Smiling In Back Seat
8. Michelle
9. The Fertile Infertile/Kristin
10. WiseGuy
11. On The Road to Baby
12. An Unwanted Path
13. cara (parenting after loss)
14. Cara
15. Fractured Rainbows
16. Life and Times of Me
17. Antigone Lost
18. Brenna's Mom
19. laura
20. Kristin (kekis)
21. The Steadfast Warrior




Want to bring something to Show and Tell?
  • If you would like to join circle time and show something to the class, simply post each Saturday night (or earlier in the week or on Monday if you can't do the weekend), hopefully including a picture if possible, and telling us about your item. It can be anything--a photo from a trip, a picture of the dress you bought this week, a random image from an old yearbook showing a person you miss. It doesn't need to contain a picture if you can't get a picture--you can simply tell a story about a single item. The list opens every Saturday night and closes on Tuesday night.
  • You must mention Show and Tell and include a link back to this post in your post so people can find the rest of the class. This spreads new readership around through the list. This is now required.
  • Label your post "Show and Tell" each week and then come back here and add the permalink for the post via the Mr. Linky feature (not your blog's main url--use the permalink for your specific Show and Tell post).
  • Oh, and then the point is that you click through all of your classmates and see what they are showing this week. And everyone loves a good "ooooh" and "aaaah" and to be queen (or king) of the playground for five minutes so leave them a comment if you can.
  • Did you post a link and now it's missing?: I reserve the right to delete any links that are not leading to a Show and Tell post or are the blogging equivalent of a spitball.

13 comments:

'Murgdan' said...

Wow. Those are just the best kinds of friends to have. :-) Very nice.

Phoebe said...

Yes, your friend is beautiful! What a nice way to honor her.

I'm all about food, as usual. Read all about my Christmas culinary escapades on this week's Show & Tell:

Gastronomic Olympics

JuliaS said...

I think that's a lovely new year's resolution. :0) I'm very pleased to 'meet' one of your lovely irl friends!

Though, do divulge, what is a Smith Island cake exactly? (yes, I always perk up a bit at the merest mention of anything cake-like!)

We have Angel Wings said...

I love those kind of friends! She truly does sound amazing.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

I have a feeling that you will be able to keep your resolution throughout the year! Fabulous choice of resolution.

Kristin said...

She is lovely and sounds like a wonderful person. I hope I have the pleasure and honor of meeting her one day.

battynurse said...

Those are the most fantastic friends.

Anonymous said...

I love friends like that. They are few and far between (and actually, I like it that way...it makes them more special).

And your resolutions are good, too. My list is started but first I have to make iron commenter!

Sam said...

what a lovely show and tell!! It is just great to have friends like that, I have a few - I don't see them very often at all, but when I do, it is as though we only saw each other a few weeks ago!!

Antigone said...

IRL friends?? What are they?

Jamie said...

Everyone needs a Jodi. I am glad you have found yours!

Kristin (kekis) said...

I don't understand why, when we feed our faraway friends such logical rationale for moving closer to us, they never move. Or even move further away?! :) I'm glad you have such a wonderful friend in Jodi.

Instead of a bad bridesmaid's dress, I think I have it beat. Just check out my lovely S&T for this week. I have NO pride!

MrsSpock said...

Perfect resolution!