The Daily News

LFCA Latest Issue: Friday, September 25, 2009.

Latest Post on BlogHer: Parenting after Infertility.

My Status: Fed Josh's almonds to the squirrels. They needed them very badly.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Circle Time: The Show and Tell Weekly Thread

Show and Tell is wasted on elementary schoolers. Join several dozen bloggers weekly to show off an item, tell a story, and get the attention of the class. In other words, this is Show and Tell 2.0. Everyone is welcome to join, even if you have never posted before and just found out about Show and Tell for the first time today. So yank out a photo of the worst bridesmaid's dress you ever wore and tell us the story; show off the homemade soup you cooked last night; or tell us all about the scarf you made for your first knitting project. Details on how to participate are located at the bottom of this post.

Let's begin.

This is a tale of the wonderful Internets (you know, those tubes where people shoot messages). I am quite vocal in our love of the Wonder Pets. I have been known, let's say, to Twitter about the episodes (as well as attempt to mention the word sex 100 times in a single day. Though not in the same Tweet. I mean, I am not looking for Wonder Pet Sex. Which would be furry or carry salmonella).


Kristin from the Fertile Infertile sent us 18 episodes of Wonder Pets and we have been Wonder Pets gluttons, devouring all the new episodes (well, new to us--prior to this point, we only had about 8 episodes on a well-worn tape). She has been raised to goddess status in our family. We speak about her with the reverence usually reserved for a religious figure.

The Wolvog was so excited that he was telling people this week and some boy told him that watching Wonder Pets is babyish (um...hello, little boy. Babyish? Perhaps you haven't heard of the drinking game I concocted for watching Wonder Pets. Bottoms up every time one of them uses the word "serious"). The Wolvog was understandably hurt and asked me if I thought this was true. We had a long talk about following our bliss and doing what we enjoyed regardless of whatever anyone else thought. And then we curled up for a Wonder Pets episode, which is a manly and brave thing to do. That little boy can suck it--Linny rocks.

What are you showing today?

Click here or scroll down to the bottom of this post if this is your first time joining along (hint: link to the permalink for the post--not the main url for your blog--and use your blog name). The list is open from now until late Tuesday night and a new one is posted every week.

Other People Standing at the Head of the Class:

1. Terrilyn
2. I Want To Be A Mommy
3. Are You Kidding Me?
4. An Unwanted Path
5. Emily (Apron Strings)
6. Hello Jello
7. Delenn
8. Vee
9. Sam
10. iwantitvmuch
11. Cara
12. Meredith
13. Wishing4One
14. Cara (parenting after loss)
15. Lee's Things
16. Martha
17. Baby Smiling In Back Seat
18. Jamie
19. Dora
20. Sara @Twice as Nice
21. Arian
22. Loribeth
23. Tales of the Phoenix
24. Rachel's Scrambled Eggs
25. The Fertile Infertile/Kristin
26. Natalie
27. WiseGuy


Want to bring something to Show and Tell?
  • If you would like to join circle time and show something to the class, simply post each Saturday night (or earlier in the week or on Monday if you can't do the weekend), hopefully including a picture if possible, and telling us about your item. It can be anything--a photo from a trip, a picture of the dress you bought this week, a random image from an old yearbook showing a person you miss. It doesn't need to contain a picture if you can't get a picture--you can simply tell a story about a single item. The list opens every Saturday night and closes on Tuesday night.
  • You must mention Show and Tell and include a link back to this post in your post so people can find the rest of the class. This spreads new readership around through the list. This is now required.
  • Label your post "Show and Tell" each week and then come back here and add the permalink for the post via the Mr. Linky feature (not your blog's main url--use the permalink for your specific Show and Tell post).
  • Oh, and then the point is that you click through all of your classmates and see what they are showing this week. And everyone loves a good "ooooh" and "aaaah" and to be queen (or king) of the playground for five minutes so leave them a comment if you can.
  • Did you post a link and now it's missing?: I reserve the right to delete any links that are not leading to a Show and Tell post or are the blogging equivalent of a spitball.

26 comments:

Malky B. said...

Rivky used to love the wonder pets but has outgrown them by now. It's a very cute show - I could even tolerate watching it!

*T* said...

I don't know Wonder Pets but I am a teacher and kids are obsessed with being disassociated with anything they perceive as babyish, glad you followed your bliss and enjoyed the episodes regardless!

battynurse said...

Those are cute although I have absolutely no idea what a wonder pet is other than a show that Mel talks about.

areyoukiddingme said...

The Wonder Pets currently make me cringe, but I've only seen a couple of episodes. I'm sure they would probably grow on me, but I'm not racing to find out...my best friend and her son LOVE them though.

Emily (Apron Strings) said...

Sadly, I've never heard of the Wonder Pets. However, the one guinea pig reminds me of one I had as a kid.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I have ever seen the wonder pets. I think I might have heard of it before maybe.

Delenn said...

Hmm..I do not know of these Wonder Pets..but I guess I will find out soon...

nancy said...

You don't know how many times I ask my husband (very randomly) "Hey, what's going to work?" and he'll always respond with "teamwork!"

ColourYourWorld said...

Wonder Pets are new to me. I thinks it's time I go and discover.

Sam said...

Hey - "childish" or not, the best thing to do is go with what you like regardless of what other people say!!

Wishing 4 One said...

Wow, i have never heard of these Wonder Pets. I am going to look at them now, online.

Tell Wolvog that watching Wonder Pets is the coolest thing to do. Did you tell him to tell the little boy to suck it next time he sees him, can u imagine....kidding.

Love the new system of posting our Show and tell via link. Am I suppose to post here too, or not?

Cara said...

Seen a cumulative - 2 episodes of the show of which you speak! We were on vacation and they had cable...um - crack I mean, to my oldest anyway.

I think my kids are past the age of reverence for such shows...but I will say that for two long years Bear structured our days like a Dora episode.
First, we go to the story.
Then, we go to the post office
Then, we get to the playground...right mama?

They were long years!(that was before we cancelled the cable!)

Lee said...

For everyone unfamiliar with the show, just google "Wonderpets youtube" and you'll be up to speed in no time!

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tkhcUafNn4)

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Wonder Pets is Where it's at!
You are a wonderful mom, thanks for sharing. It affirms the fact it's okay that I'm 47 y/o and still like my dolls.
I played along today because why the heck not??
My Uterus ebay donation sold!!! Yeah, UTE Brigade Rocks!!!

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

After all of Mel's praise, I watched a few minutes of The Wonder Pets a couple of months ago. Seemed like it would be most appealing to those who are very young, or people of any age who are high.

From age 4 on, childhood is all about negotiating the line between passé and avant-garde -- that is, babyish versus age-appropriate and hip. And then it comes full circle -- I remember the day in high school when a girl was deemed cool because she'd brought her lunch in her old Sesame Street metal lunchbox. Two to eight years earlier and she would have been laughed out of school.

AnotherDreamer said...

Awww. I remember when I was little, and people trying to tell me the stuff I did was "babyish" Oh well. Glad you guys curled up and watched it anyway :)

Jamie said...

I have never seen the Wonder Pets, but if you can work a drinking game into it, I'll give it a shot! Or shots, as the case may be . . .

Elana Kahn said...

This is the first I've heard of Wonder Pets...but it looks SOOO cute! Reminds me of Word World... :-)

Elana Kahn said...

Forgot to say I'm here from ICLW.

Kristin said...

I'm so glad I made their day. Did you know there is going to be new Wonder Pets in December? Wonderpets save the Nutcracker will be added to the schedule.

Sara said...

We love the wonder pets!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

"What's going to work? Teamwork!"

Does this saying come from Wonder Pets? My kids say this during cleanup time, and I never knew where it came from.

(We have no cable, but they must get it at friends' houses.)

Phoebe said...

I have not heard of Wonder Pets since my stepsons are waaay past that age, but I have a wonder pet of my own that I am showcasing for this week's Show & Tell:

Fluffernutter Sandwich

momofonefornow said...

We heart the wonder pets. my bean is 4 1/2 and he watches the shows and plays the online games.

We had a similar incident with a kid telling him that Diego was stupid. It genuinely hurt his feelings. That event actually ended with us leaving a birthday party after 20 minutes. (Well, that and the fact that the children were screaming obscenities and not a single parent was asking them to stop.)

Meg said...

I <3 the Wonder Pets!

..al said...

Am so slow......do you dislike back-benchers?