The Daily News

LFCA Latest Issue: Friday, September 25, 2009.

Latest Post on BlogHer: Parenting after Infertility.

My Status: Fed Josh's almonds to the squirrels. They needed them very badly.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Circle Time: The Show and Tell Weekly Thread

Welcome back to Show and Tell. Everyone is welcome to join, even if you have never posted before and just found out about Show and Tell for the first time today. In fact, we hope you do go back to your blog and post your own Show and Tell item and then return with the link to your post. Details on how to participate are located at the bottom of this post.

Let's begin.

I think Josh has reached the end of his rope with Smith Island. You probably have as well. But isn't this space delicious? And not in a crab-eating-if-you-don't-keep-kosher sort of delicious. I mean emotionally delicious? Doesn't it look as if there are great stories buried amongst the reeds?


What you see as you enter by boat; some waterfront houses have a small dock in front with boats. There are few cars on the island--most people use golf carts if they don't want to walk. The island is Methodist and they have a church and a Tabernacle for revivals (we somehow missed the Tabernacle on our trip around the island). These pictures are from Ewell. There are two other towns on Smith Island, but they weren't accessible without our own boat.



Pretty house


This is the cake! I'm tried to recreate it today (see below). This is the slice we ate on the island: The layers were so moist--each are individually baked rather than dividing a whole cake. The icing is a cooked fudge icing that hardens a bit upon cooling--much like a chocolate-glazed donut.


There are many tiny islands in the Chesapeake but most aren't populated. You pass a few with deserted structures like this as you boat out to Smith Island. I know it is decrepit and falling apart and abandoned, but isn't it beautiful too?


A portrait taken by the Wolvog on the boat ride away from the island. Yes, we are complete fools allowing our three-year-old to work our expensive digital camera. I am sure we will have regrets one day.

Oh, and I made the cake today. It was supposed to take about 45 minutes. It took me over 4 hours. But it came out fantastic in the end. We ate it for breakfast. As you can see, there are 8 layers inside, each a little under a centimeter in thickness. The icing is like liquid fudge. It is the consistency of chocolate caramel. There is a layer of it between each layer.

What are you showing today?

Other People Standing at the Head of the Class:

  1. Imagine Alyzabeth An
  2. Life from Here
  3. Bloorb This!
  4. Of Love and Loss
  5. Weebles Wobblog
  6. Worth it All
  7. Waiting for My Turn
  8. Lupus Pie
  9. A Year of Inconceivable Living
  10. Who Shot My Stork?
  11. Tales of the Phoenix
  12. The Problem with Hope
  13. Life After Infertility and Loss
  14. The Life and Times of Me
  15. The Sweet Life
  16. Kore Chronicles
  17. Slaying, Blogging, Whatever...
  18. Baby, Borneo, or Bust
  19. Searching for Hope
  20. Clumsy Kisses
  21. All Things Deb
  22. The Only Constant is Change
  23. Serenity Now!
  24. A Woman My Age
  25. The Road Less Travelled
  26. Mommy Needs Therapy
  27. Age 30 - A Year of Books
  28. The Therapist is In
  29. Anla Knits
  30. In Due Time
  31. Fumbling Towards Eggstacy
  32. One Pink Line
  33. Spuddy Buddy
  34. One Hardy Swimmer
  35. Churp, Churp
  36. I may in a bit of a sugar stupor from the cake, but I can still call on you. Next person? Don't be shy. This list is open through Tuesday. After that, hang on to your Show and Tell item for next week. The new thread will open on Saturday night.

Want to bring something to Show and Tell?
  • If you would like to join circle time and show something to the class, simply post each Sunday (or earlier in the weekend or on Monday if you can't do Sunday), hopefully including a picture if possible, and telling us about your item. It can be anything--a photo from a trip, a picture of the dress you bought this week, a random image from an old yearbook showing a person you miss. It doesn't need to contain a picture if you can't get a picture--you can simply tell a story about a single item.
  • Label your post "Show and Tell" each week and then come back here and add the permalink in the comments section below (make sure you don't just comment that you participated: add a link to your blog in your comment so people can click over). I post a new Show and Tell post every Saturday night or Sunday. I usually move people up into the body of the post every few hours.
  • Oh, and then the point is that you click through all of your classmates and see what they are showing this week.
  • If you want it...I've now placed a Show and Tell archive on the sidebar that will be updated each week in case you miss it. And click here for the icon code if you wish to have it for your blog. It links to the archives.

52 comments:

Esperanza said...

Wow. The island is enchanting and the cake - what can I say. It looks decitant...for breakfast - love it! Enjoy!

luna said...

oh my! my mouth just watered reading the description of the icing! the island sounds wonderful. love all the pix!

I've got mine up now:
http://lifefromhere.wordpress.com/2008/06/14/show-and-tell-daddys-girl/

thanks!

chicklet said...

I luv places like that, that just look like there's so much history and interesting stories. Particularly how the house got painted all green and crazy like that. Brilliant.

I'm here http://www.bloorb.com/2008/06/show-n-tellin-it_14.html

Lauren said...

Beautiful pictures! The cake makes me hungry for sure. And I love that house! I'm going to paint mine that way... maybe if I can get my husband to agree to it that is.

Mine's up!

http://purvislets.blogspot.com/2008/06/show-and-tell-3.html

Lori Lavender Luz said...

http://weebleswobblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/show-tell-dad-isms.html

Some people are cookie monsters; I am a cake monster.

Yummmmmmmmm.

Joanna said...

Im at: http://worth-it-all.blogspot.com/2008/06/show-and-tell-with-mel_14.html

I love that little small town church. And your 3 year old took quite a good picture of you! Im impressed.

Io said...

Oh G*d. That is beautiful. I was going to comment something about what a cute picture of you...but that cake. That CAKE. ::drools all over keyboard::

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I also want to say that yes, the photos of Smith Island are beautiful.

But one of your S&T photos stand out as even more stunning than the rest.

Good job, Wolvog.

Jess said...

Wow what a beautiful area!

Here is my show and tell:

http://waitingforbabykemp.blogspot.com/2008/06/show-and-tell-house-hunting.html

DC said...

Mmmmm. That cake looks delicious!!

For my Show & Tell this week, I'm discussing my relationship with Tim Russert. I didn't use the Show & Tell label because I thought it might be disrespectful to do so in a post about someone's passing; however, Tim was an important person in my life so I wanted to share.

DC said...

Sorry . . . I forgot to leave my link:

http://lupuspie.blogspot.com/2008/06/rip-tim-russert.html

Alyson and Ford said...

The cake looks beyond yummy! Wow!! You are a great baker!

Alyson LID 01/27/06 (IA China)

Phoebe said...

I like how the chocolate icing is just dripping off the cake. Hmmmmm, chocolate...

My Show and Tell is scheduled to be published Sunday, at 12:02am. If it's really "Show & Tell Sunday", I'm kind-of a stickler for it to post then!

Tales of the Phoenix

HereWeGoAJen said...

I am not sick of stories about Smith Island yet. Plus, I want the recipe for that cake. Yum.

I am impressed with the Wolvog's photography skills.

Mrs.X said...

Beautiful pics!

My first show and tell:
http://inconceivablelife.blogspot.com/2008/06/show-tell-on-walls-in-paris.html

Samantha said...

The cake... the cake... I can't stop thinking about it! Yum!

The island looks so peaceful. I agree the abandon structures give it a wild and romantic air too.

Io said...

I'm showing and telling.
http://damnthatstork.blogspot.com/2008/06/show-and-tell-way-down-into-post.html

Anonymous said...

OH MY GAWD.
I am getting in my car & coming over RIGHT NOW for some of that cake. You had me at the donut icing reference. mmmmmmm. Seriously- can you just fed ex me the bowl to lick??

Jess said...

Mel, that island looks sooo cool! And that candy colored house is rocking! :)

So is the cake, save for the chocolate icing (not a chocolate fan myself)....it looks fab.

I'm in for this week's show and tell...

Here's mine:
http://virtualworldtourjess.blogspot.com/2008/06/mels-show-and-tellmy-willow-tree.html

JuliaS said...

Ohhhhh - I SO wish I were there with you! Not just to eat that decadent looking cake either . . . :0)

Will you save me a piece if I show and tell next? Pretty please?

Life After Infertility & Loss

ColourYourWorld said...

Oh Mel! I have Max reading over my shoulder drooling over that cake!

You must come to Sydney, Smith Island has some similarities to areas around where we live. They are great photos, I love the look of the houses.

Here is my show and tell
http://sweetvee.blogspot.com/2008/06/
show-and-tell-travel-story.html

Sam said...

That house looks almost as edible as that cake!!

Here's my show and tell!

Anonymous said...

I want some cake. PLEASE? Pretty please with some of that lovely icing on it? Actually, this looks a lot like a cake I used to make years ago. I gave it up because of all the fiddle-faddling around trying to get
each layer roughly the same size. I'll be interested to see if it's the same recipe.

And Wolvog has the makings of a photographer. Clearly.

My Show and Tell is photography related and all!

www.korechronicles.wordpress.com

Lee said...

I've enjoyed your tour of Smith Island!

The cake! Oh my gosh. The cake!

Looks wonderful. Hope it tastes as lovely as it looks!

Delenn said...

Here's my show n tell.

http://polantworld.blogspot.com/2008/06/show-tell-2.html

Anonymous said...

That. cake. looks. DIVINE! I want me some of that cake.

Smith Island looks like a writer's ahven. I just want to go there with a blank book and write and write and write. The pictures alone tell so many stories. I'm so glad you shared!

Queenie. . . said...

I wish I lived near you, so I could just happen to stop by your house this morning.

In for S&T: Baby, Borneo or Bust...

Searching said...

Yummmm!!! Sounds like an awful lot of work, but sure does look delicious!

Here is my show and tell: http://searching4hope.blogspot.com/2008/06/show-tell.html

Anonymous said...

Will you please share your icing recipe?? If I ask nicely?

Dear Mel,

Will you please share your icing recipe? I have been dying for a good fudge recipe and haven't found one yet.

Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photos, including the one of you :)

My post is here.

Deb said...

That cake looks scrumptious.

I'm showing today too...
http://all-things-deb.blogspot.com/2008/06/show-and-tell-at-mels.html

..Soo.See.. said...

The pics are awesome! Glad you had a good time, that cake looks DEEEEELISH!!!! No show & tell as of right now.. Not home. Will post later.

Anonymous said...

I'm coming for breakfast!
(And booking a trip to Maryland...)

loribeth said...

OK, Mel, you make me want to pack my bags & leave on vacation right now!!

Here's my post for this week, about vacationing on a different coast:

http://theroadlesstravelledlb.blogspot.com/2008/06/show-tell-cannon-beach.html

VA Blondie said...

That cake looks wonderful. I think I gained weight just looking at it. I love the pictures of the island. My mother is on a coastal island on vacation right now. I am jealous of both of you.

Here is my show and tell for the week:
http://vablondie.blogspot.com/2008/06/good-news-bad-news.html

Serenity said...

I'm in on the Show and Tell... here's the link: http://serenitynowinfertile.wordpress.com/2008/06/15/show-and-tell-sunday-3/

OMG that cake sounds delish.

As does the whole Smith Island experience. A vacation place that can feed your soul? It's an amazing thing.

Deathstar said...

http://awomanmyage.blogspot.com/

Showin' it and Tellin' it. I LOVE CAKE!

Kristine said...

I finally "moved" to my new blog. Can I show that off for show and tell?

http://mommyneedstherapy.blogspot.com

Cajun Cutie said...

show and tell. Mine will be up shortly.
http://butterflyanla6318.blogspot.com/

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I love the photos! Here's the link to my post.

Jamie said...

OMG - that cake looks divine!! I would love to try to make one myself, but I have a feeling I would probably just eat all the icing out of bowl while the cake burned in the oven.

A little bit late today . . .

http://thetherapistisinbyjamie.blogspot.com/2008/06/show-tell_15.html

In Due Time said...

I'm late!!!

In Due Time
http://in-due-time.blogspot.com/2008/06/show-tell-2.html

HeidiM said...

It's only 10 p.m. by me so I'm still on Sunday time!

That cake looks good btw. And your 3-yo did a great job on the pic!

Here's mine for the week: Fumbling Towards Eggstacy Show & Tell #4

TTCinDC said...

My show and tell is the story behind my new camera!

http://onepinkline.blogspot.com/2008/06/belated-show-and-tell.html

Anonymous said...

I must have that cake! Must have it now! (Wipes drool away)

Here's my entry

Barb said...

WOW! Beautiful island and YUMMY cake!

m said...

Oh my goddess, that cake....

Happy said...

Here's mine.

http://1hardyswimmer.blogspot.com/2008/06/show-and-tell.html

Cricket said...

Beautiful pictures!

Here's mine:
Camping Cobbler

http://cricketchurping.blogspot.com/2008/06/show-and-tell-camping-cobbler.html

kate said...

oh, g*d... want cake! WAAAANT CAAAAAKE NOWWWWWW!

My stomach is rumbling...

It looks like your vacation was fabulous. And a most excellent portrait taken by the young'un.

Bea said...

Love your travel pics, and your cake looks spot-on! And soooo delicious...

Bea

Sunny said...

I am so behind BUT you have to make that cake again and give me a piece. It is one of my favorite southern cakes. I am SO IMPRESSED! It is a hard cake to make.