The glitz, the glamour, the red carpet chit-chat. The dazzling amount of bling. The are-they-or-aren't-theys. The lavish after-parties. It's the first ALIes* (The meaning will be clear once you read the rest of the post, but pronounce it like the girl's name--Ally--but think about it like "allies" yet missing the extra "L")
What are the ALIes? Only the most exclusive award ceremony for the adoption (A), loss (L), and infertility (I) world. Given at irregular intervals whenever we feel like it, they honour ALI celebrities and fine art.
At Embryo Motel's request, I am opening up the awards panel for nominations. Each category currently has one suggestion and three empty slots. It's sort of a fun game to try to come up with the people that fit the categories. Once the panels are complete, it will be put to a vote by the 1300+ members of the academy (er...otherwise known as the blogroll). And then...the first ALIes in all of their glory. With a lot of champagne. And kissing-and-telling with B-list celebrities. And not being able to recall much the next morning. And learning about your escapades in the gossip rags.
The nominations can come from any decade and nominees can be in their element or completely washed up and botoxed out.
1. Best movie with an adoption/loss/infertility (ALI) plotline
2. Open; make a suggestion in the comment section.
3. Open; make a suggestion in the comment section.
4. Open; make a suggestion in the comment section.
Rather than do this for every category, assume that there is one suggestion and three open slots. The one choice already listed may be bumped out of the running if the suggestions are better than the current choice.
2. Best book with an ALI element to the book
1. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
3. Best television series with an ALI storyline
1. Brothers & Sisters
4. Best song (and hence musician) with an ALI theme
1. Dixie Chicks's "So Hard"
5. Best mainstream magazine/newspaper for ALI coverage
1. New York Times
6. Best ALI actor/actress
1. Marcia Cross
7. Best ALI musician
1. Melissa Etheridge
8. Best ALI writer
1. Peggy Orenstein
9. Most interesting ALI mother/mother-one-day (one you'd actually read an entire People magazine article about--may overlap with another category)
1. Courtney Cox
10. Most interesting ALI father/father-one-day (again, you'd like to read more about them in a magazine article and may overlap with another category)
1. Dan Savage
11. Celebrity of the Year (a public figure who has been upfront about their ALI status and used celebrity to educate)
1. Emma Thompson
To make it easy, use the numbers on the side (1--11) in your comment when leaving a name for a category. Feel free to fill in as many names (even more than one per category) as you can. The more the better.
Unlike the stodgy, inflexible Oscars, the ALIes are completely open to new category suggestions. Please place them in the comment section and I will move them into the body of the post so people can add their suggestions for nominees for that section too. for instance, we don't have a childfree after IF category because it's sometimes difficult to know unless the person is out (and I don't know any celebrities off the top of my head despite all my hours reading People) whether they are childfree after IF or childfree by choice. But if you can think of people, please let me know.
The ALIes are kind-at-heart so put your inner bitch back in your make-up bag because we're not going to create categories about outing people or painting them as the most unworthy of having the money to do treatments. We're talking about allies here. ALIes and allies and all the people who chip away at the taboo.
*The award statue is from Ghana and she's an Akua-ba fertility doll. The story is that a woman, Akua, was given the biggest assvice of all time that the way to cure her infertility was to carry a wooden replica of a child on her back at all times to simulate motherhood. Everyone in the village laughed at her (I guess they knew assvice when they saw it), but lo and behold, she became pregnant and delivered a daughter. So who's laughing now, bitch?