The Daily News

LFCA Latest Issue: Friday, September 25, 2009.

Latest Post on BlogHer: Parenting after Infertility.

My Status: Fed Josh's almonds to the squirrels. They needed them very badly.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

WalkAmerica

So...

I'm really shy about putting this out there, but I'm doing WalkAmerica this year, which is the walk to benefit the March of Dimes. The money raised will go to "improve the health of babies by preventing birth defects, premature birth, and infant mortality." Which...as you know...is kind of sort of extremely really close to my heart.

Our twins were IUGR and had to come out at 33 weeks (almost 34). They spent three weeks in the NICU and came home on heart monitors. It's sort of crazy to read the old email updates I'd send--the day my son hit the big four pound mark! The day they took 1/2 ounce by mouth!

Um...that's why I'm walking this May. Because my son finally hit the big four pound mark when he was about six weeks old due to the excellent care of the NICU staff and advances in medicine supported by the March of Dimes. And for the day the twins took 1/2 ounce by mouth or came off the heart monitors or became the little crazed monkeys they are today. All due to the excellent care of doctors and nurses and the good work of the March of Dimes.

I still get choked up writing about this.

So if you don't mind a plea for fundraising--since it is a good cause that it close to many-a-stirrup queen's heart, please click on the WalkAmerica link below to contribute--even if it is just a dollar or two in memory of another baby born too soon on the Land of If or in honour of a child who has made it out of the premature years. It is hard to be a part of this blogosphere and not know a story.


click here. come on. you know you want to contribute.


We're also walking in honour of our friend's son who came home this week after 111 days in the NICU. She is a fellow stirrup queen who delivered her son in her second trimester. He was 1 pound 12 ounces at birth. He is over 6 pounds 6 ounces today. Happy Coming Home Day, Yoav.


3 comments:

Jess said...

How sweet!

I was a month premature (I turned 23 in early January) and back when I was born, a month was huge. My newborn pics involve lots of needles in the head, an incubator, and lots of tubes. I was there for a while. Nothing like 111 days, but much longer than a "normal" infant.

It's amazing then for me to compare our godson, who was born just under a month early. No incubator. He spent his days in the hospital room with my best friend as she recovered. It's a miracle, the difference 20 some years can make.

Yay for you for supporting such a good cause! :)

battynurse said...

It is amazing the things that happen in the NICU. Working there was an experience I will never forget. Enjoy the walk and thanks for letting us help.

Ms. Perky said...

you shouldn't be remotely shy about putting this out there. The March of Dimes does amazing work and your twins are living proof of how much we've benefitted from their great work. You should be proud and excited to announce your participation in WalkAmerica.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to contribute my small part to the cause.