Regardless, we are currently in the middle of National Adoption Awareness Month and even if it is not the path to parenthood that you have chosen, you can still jump in there and celebrate. Not everyone who adopts has experienced infertility, but it is one of the paths out of infertility.
So what can you do to promote awareness about adoption during National Adoption Awareness Month?
- choose a few blogs off the blogroll and begin reading first-hand accounts of domestic or international adoption.
- Start collecting materials or attend a lecture in order to decide whether adoption is the right path for your family.
- Write one of the peer counselors of the Peer Infertility Counselor list and ask a few questions.
- Read NACAC's Education Guide along with their larger publication to raise awareness during National Adoption Awareness Month.
- take the words "just adopt" out of someone's mouth and replace it with factual information about domestic or international adoption.
- Suggest a book for your book club dealing with the theme of adoption in order to bring up a larger discussion in a more relaxed setting.
- If you have children, introduce the concept of adoption by choosing picture books that broach the topic.
Weigh in with other ideas of how people can get involved with National Adoption Awareness Month.