The Daily News

LFCA Latest Issue: Friday, September 25, 2009.

Latest Post on BlogHer: Parenting after Infertility.

My Status: Fed Josh's almonds to the squirrels. They needed them very badly.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Spread the Word

I am so happy that skeins of #814 are selling out. I'm always on the lookout for other pomegranate threads. I haven't seen one yet (with the exception of the one on my husband's wrist, but I sort of already knew he was infertile--no big bonding moment. And the head of Resolve, but I tied it on his wrist so again, not a big surprise). I'm actually curious, how many people are wearing one right now. Add a comment to this post and let everyone know.

Paz wrote up such a great description of Operation Common Thread for a listserv we're both on that I thought I would post it here in case anyone else has infertility or pregnancy loss listservs/bulletin boards they visit. You can cut-and-paste this message in order to spread the word.

For anyone who has ever had a miscarriage, struggled with pregnancy, and all things infertile...there is a movement upon us that you might want to join. It's rather simple actually: a discreet ribbon on your right wrist to signal to others that they are not alone in their struggles.

As someone who has had 5 m/c but am currently 5 months pregnant (YEAH), I wonder who looks at my big belly with sadness because they are in the month-to-month struggle. I mentioned to a friend that I wished there was some secret nod or international sign as if to say, this belly was hardwon. Well, she posted this quandary on her blog (http://www.stirrup-queens.blogspot.com/) and the response has been quite overwhelming...and a movement has been born!

The pomegranate-colored thread holds a two-fold purpose: to identify and create community between those experiencing infertility as well as create a starting point for a conversation. Women pregnant through any means, natural or A.R.T., families created through adoption or surrogacy, or couples trying to conceive during infertility or secondary infertility can wear the thread, identifying themselves to others in this silent community. At the same time, the string serves as a gateway to conversations about infertility when people inquire about its purpose. These conversations are imperative if we are ever to remove the social stigma attached to infertility.Tie on the thread because you’re not alone. Wear to make aware. Join us in starting this conversation about infertility by purchasingthis pomegranate-coloured thread (#814 by DMC) at any craft, knitting, or variety store such as Walmart or Target. Tie it on your right wrist. Notice it on others. Just thought I would pass the word along!

So that was Paz's very cool post. Get the word out there.

And another thing for newcomers since there seems to be many new people commenting on the site, if your blog isn't already listed in the blogroll, drop me a note (thetowncriers@gmail.com) and let me know about your blog and chosen category so I can add you. I've been finding IF blogs left and right so the list is really growing, but it's great when people send me an email and tell me about ones that I've missed.

Er...and one last piece of business. With the blogroll. There are BFP popping up everywhere but I haven't moved anyone from their original category yet unless they've asked. Pregnancy after IF is rarely the carefree-running-down-the-beach-with-the-wind-in-your-hair pregnancies of the non-infertiles. So I don't want to move anyone until they're ready. And it takes some people three months to move and it takes other people until the baby is out of their belly to move. I wasn't sure how people felt about this. Especially if you have expectations that a TTC blog will still be a TTC blog and then you click on it looking for information and discover that it is now a pregnancy blog. Which is a happy thing. And also a sensitive thing.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a great idea, but I have one problem with it... I really don't want to be mistaken for a Kaballahist (they wear a red thread or string around their wrist). The color is not quite different enough for it to be clear that you are IF rather than a nouveau-cult member.

Lollipop Goldstein said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mandolyn said...

I've got #814 on my right wrist.

There's really something special about it. I haven't had any other sightings yet, but so far it's made me feel a little better from the inside out. Maybe it's because of the sense of hope and understanding that it characterizes. I've needed that.

I carry a few strands in my purse...just in case, I guess. If the situation presents itself, it will be too good to not pass on.

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I haven't had anyone make the Kabbalahist comment yet when they've seen it (I think it's different enough since it's more purple--sort of like how no one confuses the Lance Armstrong Livestrong bracelets with other similar plastic bracelets), but if you're worried, you could make yours more unique. Twist three pieces of thread into a thicker friendship bracelet. Or add a charm. Personalize it. I think we aimed for the thread because it was (1) inexpensive and (2) easily accesible to most people living in America. Anyone could find it in their own town. Does that make sense?

I think with any idea, there is something that you can say, "oh...but it's like..." and while it does seem to be a tradition for Kaballahist to wear a bright red piece of string, it is also a tradition in other cultures to wear a white piece of string or a black piece of string. It's really hard to come up with something original that doesn't look like anything else out there :-)

C said...

I'm wearing mine, and keeping an eye out for anyone else wearing a string. I've also seen links to this blog (specifically to Operation Common Thread) in a couple of listservs I'm part of, so the message is definitely spreading.

I've also kept an eye out for any charms that I might add to my thread, just to make it stand out a bit. Havne't found quite the right one yet, though.

KE said...

No sightings yet for me. I scrutinized a lot of wrists at my RE's office today!

I wear mine proudly on my right wrist. Like mandolyn, I carry the extra string with me just in case. You never know who might ask you what it's for and then tell you they are dealing with IF!

Anonymous said...

Good point, personalization should work!

Anonymous said...

I'm wearing mine! It took two trips to the craft aisle of Walmart, though (the first time the thread disappeared out of my cart when I went across the store to do my grocery shopping, the second I held it all the way to the check-out). I live in the middle of nowhere, so I haven't seen any other threads, but I find myself playing with the string and holding my right wrist up around anybody that I think might notice it. I have an extra skein in my car, and one in my purse, so I'm always prepared (especially with scissors on my keychain to cut it with, I'm no Resolve president, I can't break it with my bare hands).

Kris said...

I'm wearing mine, but I have it knotted a la friendship bracelet.

Lisa P. said...

I'm getting mine soon, and thought I'd add some beads that look like pomegranate seeds as well. Now I just have to find those...

Anonymous said...

I'm wearing mine. I wish I'd thought to keep a little extra before passing the remaining 26.5 yards to my friend! I'll be checking out other people's wrists at my RE's this Thursday.

How's this for an idea? A little baggie with a strand of #814 thread stapled to a business card with The Common Thread Project and the URL on it. You could leave baskets of them in RE's offices and other places. Just a thought....

Lollipop Goldstein said...

Joan--I totally want to do that! I just didn't know how clinics would feel about passing them out. While you're there, would you ask? And then I can make some and mail them along. I think doctors should give them to their patients when they give that "infertility" diagnose. Make them feel less alone and less shell-shocked.

Anonymous said...

I am wearing a ribbon, although I have not gotten the right color yet. It is more grape than pomegranate. But I do carry a print out of the story you posted that tells the genesis of the idea and what it means. And eventually, I'll get the right color ribbon!

I am on the loockout everyday for a purple string, but none yet. Can't wait to see my first one!

Spread the word. I posted about it on Fertile thoughts too.

Paz

Tina said...

I posted this in response to the first post on the thread project, but I noticed this later post and I wanted to let people know that the Klutz Spool Knit Jewelry book includes stretchy cord in a dark purpley-red color very similar to DMC 814 (I didn't know this when I got the kit, and was excited I could make my "Common Thread" bracelet with it). The knitting spool included in the kit made a nice sturdy bracelet, and for those wanting to personalize their thread, lots of beads and design options, too. I just made my bracelet with the kit, so I wanted to pass the tip along. It's not the cheapest option, but it's another idea!

Lollipop Goldstein said...

That would be great, Molly! Thanks.