The Daily News

LFCA Latest Issue: Friday, September 25, 2009.

Latest Post on BlogHer: Parenting after Infertility.

My Status: Fed Josh's almonds to the squirrels. They needed them very badly.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Stirrup Queens Guide to Two-Week-Wait Cocktails

I don’t drink very often, but I still feel the need to complain about the fact that I don’t drink during the two-week-wait. Because until it’s for something, it’s all for nothing! You skip the free French Martini at the open bar because you’re secretly hoping that you’re with child, and then AF shows up and you kick yourself because free alcohol doesn’t grow on trees!

Stirrup Queens need special drinks during their two-week-wait as well as any night that they need to give themselves an injection (real alcohol can be consumed on any evenings when you get a…don’t say it…BFN). Drinks that they can pour into a martini glass and feel shmancy.

I am currently drinking one of these drinks as I write, so in addition to making you send me your comments, blog addresses, write-ups for Operation Heads Up and every other little thing I demand from all other SQs and SPJs, I am now asking you to add your best 2ww drinks.

The Whoa-Nelly (tweaked from the Jen’s Delish of Northampton’s Haymarket Café)

1 cup decaf iced coffee (that’s the only drawback to this drink—you need to have the coffee cold so make it the night before)
1 cup milk
a few squirts of chocolate syrup
a few glugs of hazelnut syrup

Shake together and pour into chilled martini glass. Drink while staring longingly at that unopened box of pee sticks. Continue drinking while not testing.

4 comments:

A said...

I'm nothing more than a social drinker so I do not drink often. However, I guess I'll be the first to admit that the 2ww does not keep me from having a glass of wine with dinner or a beer at a party. I have vowed to refuse to live my life as if I'm pregnant until I really am pregnant. I'd waste too much time "not living" for nothing. Plus, we get BFP's so early with this modern technology. But that's just me. I totally see why people do avoid alcohol during the 2ww.

Anonymous said...

Yum! Can't wait to try it!

Lisa P. said...

I'd have to agree with Amy -- the lone drink during the 2ww is easier for me to do than avoiding it altogether. I can see why others do so but I just can't justify it. Thinking about all the people who get pregnant *because* of alcohol (and surprises, at that) makes me think that avoiding it is only making me feel deprived for no reason.

That makes me sound like an alcoholic, but really I'm not.

Serenity said...

THANKS for this... sounds yummy!

My friend dished me up a virgin pomegranate martini- pomegranate juice, lemon seltzer water, a couple of blueberries and a raspberry in a martini glass. Was YUM!

I didn't just avoid alcohol in the 2ww this cycle, I've been drink free since my period went away this cycle. It's been easier than I expected it to be, actually.