The Daily News

LFCA Latest Issue: Friday, September 25, 2009.

Latest Post on BlogHer: Parenting after Infertility.

My Status: Fed Josh's almonds to the squirrels. They needed them very badly.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The 57th Circle Time: The Show and Tell Weekly Thread

Show and Tell is wasted on elementary schoolers. Join several dozen bloggers weekly to show off an item, tell a story, and get the attention of the class. In other words, this is Show and Tell 2.0. Everyone is welcome to join, even if you have never posted before and just found out about Show and Tell for the first time today. So yank out a photo of the worst bridesmaid's dress you ever wore and tell us the story; show off the homemade soup you cooked last night; or tell us all about the scarf you made for your first knitting project. Details on how to participate are located at the bottom of this post.

Let's begin.

Warning, a NICU picture below...

I am still pouring drinks at the Virtual Lushary, but now it's time for a little showing and telling.

My big project this summer is making scrapbooks for the twins. I have things written down in a multitude of places and thousands of pictures, but I've never taken the time to put it all together in a book and I want them to have the stories and milestone dates from the first five years of their life. My goal is to complete them before their 5th birthday. I have one book for stories and pictures of the two of them together and then the ChickieNob and Wolvog both have their own.

Please indulge some photos/memories this summer as I find them.

I had forgotten about this picture until I found it on an old disc. I am stroking the ChickieNob's head. I think she was under the bili lights, hence the eerie lighting. Josh took the picture. I look so young, so concerned, so unsure.

In my journal I wrote about their early birth, "It would be like planning a wedding for August and then being thrust into the experience in July. It's not that you wouldn't be happy to be married (and being married is obviously the point of the wedding), but you'd feel cheated out of the end of the wedding planning experience. I still had a lot of dreaming to do before they arrived, and I was really sad that I wouldn't get to feel them inside me anymore even if I was also excited to see them."


What are you showing today?

Click here or scroll down to the bottom of this post if this is your first time joining along (hint: link to the permalink for the post, not the main url for your blog and use your blog's name, not your name). The list is open from now until late Tuesday night and a new one is posted every week.

Other People Standing at the Head of the Class:

1. Building Heavenly Bridges
2. SSV
3. Dragondreamer's Lair
4. An Unwanted Path
5. The Happy Hours
6. MLOKnitting
7. Baby Making Journey
8. Delenn
9. Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Pampers
10. Weebles Wobblog
11. Vintage Mommy
12. Destined to be an old woman with no regrets
13. Liv
14. In Due Time
15. Fatty Pants
16. getting there
17. On The Road to Baby
18. Our Family Beginnings
19. Becoming Whole
20. Not A Fertile Myrtle
21. Babies Everywhere... But None That Call Me Mama
22. A. M. S.
23. Socialwrkr24/ 7
24. Beautiful Mess
25. There's Baby at the End of This, Right
26. Alana- isms
27. Mrs Spock




Want to bring something to Show and Tell?
  • If you would like to join circle time and show something to the class, simply post each Saturday night (or earlier in the week or on Monday if you can't do the weekend), hopefully including a picture if possible, and telling us about your item. It can be anything--a photo from a trip, a picture of the dress you bought this week, a random image from an old yearbook showing a person you miss. It doesn't need to contain a picture if you can't get a picture--you can simply tell a story about a single item. The list opens every Saturday night and closes on Tuesday night.
  • You must mention Show and Tell and include a link back to this post in your post so people can find the rest of the class. This spreads new readership around through the list. This is now required.
  • Label your post "Show and Tell" each week and then come back here and add the permalink for the post via the Mr. Linky feature (not your blog's main url--use the permalink for your specific Show and Tell post).
  • Oh, and then the point is that you click through all of your classmates and see what they are showing this week. And everyone loves a good "ooooh" and "aaaah" and to be queen (or king) of the playground for five minutes so leave them a comment if you can.
  • Did you post a link and now it's missing?: I reserve the right to delete any links that are not leading to a Show and Tell post or are the blogging equivalent of a spitball.

25 comments:

Cara said...

HA! Not only did I rally for a Wed. show and tell, but first one to link (although not first to post!)

Mel- I LOVE that you are scrapping their early days! You know that is my second, third, fourth passion!!

That picture is so haunting - loving - perfect...

Anonymous said...

What an amazing, poignant photo.

I love your wedding analogy. Something was definitely taken from you, even as you were given something.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Kristin said...

Oh Mel...what a perfect analogy and what a stunning picture. It is so arresting.

AnotherDreamer said...

Wow, that is a powerful image. And so full of love. And what a wonderful analogy.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Delenn said...

That is a beautiful photo. Do you scrapbook digitally or the old fashioned way? I do both, but have started wondering if I should go all digital...

Sunny said...

That photo is so beautiful... I can imagine some of the emotions, but others I'm sure I can't, having not been through premature birth. Thanks for sharing that special moment!

'Murgdan' said...

Beautiful beautiful photo.

Beautiful Mess said...

That picture is absolutely beautifully heartbreaking and heart warming at the same time. I hope you enjoy putting the scrapbooks together!
*HUGS*

Lori Lavender Luz said...

That analogy captures the emotions so well, as does this photo of you caring for your daughter.

Isn't it wonderful to stroke her head these days?

Anonymous said...

the picture tells an incredible whole story. i think it's wonderful that you're scrapbooking, it's such a heartfelt way to capture memories.

Vintage Mommy said...

You have some fun work ahead with the scrapbooks. I have yet to make a serious dent in Vintage Girls, though I did finish her Adoption Story book which I thought was more important.

Can anyone help with how to leave comments on a blogger blog when there is no Name/URL option? Nothing seems to be working and I don't understand! Thanks.

battynurse said...

Great picture.

The Steadfast Warrior said...

This photo caught my breath and my heart. What an endearing and enduring tribute to motherhood. All that uncertainty, fear, and love. I can't wait for it. Thanks for the reminder of what I'm getting myself into. :)

..al said...

That picture has come out so nice....it is one of those pics that are taken and forgotten, and then they emerge from somewhere with a deep meaning attached to them...You seem impervious to the camera as well. Very real, there is a softness and concern that flows from the picture...Good Luck with the scrapbook, hoping we could see more of it!

Liv said...

I'm so glad that you are creating these books of memories. This will be such a gift not only to you to treasure but for Wolvlog and Chickienob AND their children should they have them. Going through my grandmother's collection of early photos of not just me but of her as an early mother allowed me to enter her world, far after she was gone.

The photo is breath-taking. Just beautiful.

LJ said...

I know I got to the table a few years too late to see the Chickie and Wol in the nicu, but I'm glad you're scrapbooking so I can see it all...

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

Love that you are doing a scrapbook of the early days. That is an amazing photo. Thanks for sharing it.

nh said...

It's a gorgeous picture - so poignant, and full of love.

kate said...

Gorgeous photo. So sad and caring and happy (and gorgeously composed, too). Just wonderful.

KLTTX said...

Great analogy! My DS was born 9 weeks early and I really wish I had a chance to experience those last two months of pregnancy.

FattyPants said...

That is just so beautiful. Its amazing how you can look at it and just feel the love.

As a side note I am loving the weekday show and tells, I never had time on the weekends.

A.M.S. said...

Oh, that picture brings a ton of things rushing back...the smell of the soap from the three minute scrub-in, the sound of the vibrating bed and the different beeps of alarms, that freaky purple bili light, and those tiny tiny velcro'd masks under the tiny tiny hats.

The albums sound wonderful. A nice way to maybe win back those moments by tying the photos from the scary days to the photos from the fun happy days.

Malky B. said...

So touching!

Leslee said...

Thanks for sharing this photo and the analogy -- it helps us understand perfectly!

Bea said...

What a beautiful picture. And beautiful thoughts.

Bea