And that, my friend, is the point of the Commentathon. Seven days to collective send out 1000 comments. Does that sound like a lofty goal? Perhaps. But I think we're just the people to do it.
So here is how it works:
(1) Sign up begins today. Leave a message in the comments section saying you'd like to participate or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. I need a name, the url for your blog (if you don't have a blog, just leave a name), and a comment goal for the week (for instance, if you think you can leave 5 comments a day, write down a goal of 35 comments for the week. You can always leave more comments than you put down as your goal. You can also spread it out and leave 10 comments one day and no comments the next day). Don't be shy--if you can only leave 7 comments over the whole week, that's fine too. Every comment takes us closer to that 1000 comment goal. People can sign up until June 17th.
(2) I will post a participant's list with links to blogs, updated daily once the Commentathon begins to reflect your comment total. It will look something along the lines like this
Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters (Melissa) Goal: 70 ___ (M) ___ (T) ___ (W) ___ (TH) ___ (F) ___ (SA) ___ (SUN) _____ (Total)
(3) Keep track of how many comments you leave from June 18th--June 24th (7 days--if you'll be gone any of these days, use the 25th, 26th, or 27th as "make-up" days). This is how to tally your comments:
- Every comment you leave on another person's blog* equal one point.
- Every time someone leaves a comment on your blog and you click over to their blog and return the favour by leaving a comment, you get two points.
Keep track during the day on a scrap of paper and email me (email@example.com) a total at the end of the day each day (this is obviously done on an honour system). I will update your total and how close we are collectively to leaving 1000 comments in a single week daily.
(4) The highest commentors will be announced and awarded on the 29th during the blog roundup. Collectively, we will make the world feel like a better place for at least a week by spreading the love around and letting people know that people are reading their words.
So sign up by leaving the necessary information in the comments section or sending me an email. You don't need a blog to participate, but if you've been considering starting one, this is a great opportunity for people to find your new blog. And then start keeping track of your comments on the 18th...
And don't forget to send me your secret odes for Secret Ode Day (posting June 21st)...
* Infertility and pregnancy loss is a simplistic name that encompasses any blog related to infertility, treatments, living child-free, adoption, GBLT assisted reproduction, donor gametes, secondary infertility, pregnancy loss, pregnancy-after-infertility, and parenting-after-infertility
(as well as any other categories I inadvertently left off the list).