The Daily News

LFCA Latest Issue: Friday, September 25, 2009.

Latest Post on BlogHer: Parenting after Infertility.

My Status: Fed Josh's almonds to the squirrels. They needed them very badly.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Twenty Barren Bitches On Board

Okay, it's 19 barren bitches and one...what is the male version of not being able to procreate? It's not sterile because a man can produce sperm and still not be able to fertilize an egg. I mean, barrenness is about not having a baby within your womb. Starting out a post about the book club has thrown me into linguistical dilemma. What is the male equivilent to a barren bitch? 10 points to the person who coins this new term...

You know that whole theory about "breaking the pee seal?" Well, Josh has urinated for men everywhere by joining the group, making it safe for other men to join along. Can we do something co-ed for once? I mean, we follow you guys back into the sperm palaces and make phone calls to your urologist for you--can't you join our book club?

Regardless, we now have 20 people signed up for tour #2 of the book club. For people who have no idea what I'm talking about, read the post here: Barren Bitches Book Tour.

So, it's an online book club. Where you don't have to clean your house because no guests are arriving. And you don't have to bring a potluck dish. And you don't even need to change out of your pyjamas. You just have to post. On a certain day. And read everyone else's post. And leave a few comments. Simple.

Anyway, we're now up to 20 people which means at least 20 questions posted February 28th. Everyone will pick 5 questions to answer from the big list, so there will be a lot of variation on all the different blog entries.

I'm repeating all of this because there's still two weeks left if you want to run by the library or your nearest bookstore and join along. There's actually almost three weeks left since the post won't go up until March 5 (so you could always make up a question when you're halfway through with the book and then continue reading). So join in for this one, or if Children of Men isn't your cup of tea, consider joining the next book tour (the best part of an online book club--only join for the books that interest you).

Actually, people should start throwing out ideas for the next book tour. I figure if we're discussing this current one in March, we should plan the next one to post around the end of April/beginning of May. But in order for people to get on library waiting lists or comb the used bookstores, I thought we'd start throwing out ideas and cement the next book in the next week or so.

So, throw out ideas--whatever you want. Fiction or nonfiction. Since we're all barren bitches (and barren is, of course, broadly defined since there are many lovely ladies on the blogroll who are doing treatments, but are not necessarily infertile. Or who have adopted or are adopting. Well, you get my point) and will bring that unique point-of-view, I think we should still kick it with books that bring up the topic of infertility or pregnancy loss. Not necessarily the entire focus of the book, but at least a part of the book.

Therefore, I throw out these two ideas for voting (and add other book ideas to this short list):

Waiting for Daisy by Peggy Orenstein
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Just click on the title to learn more about the book.

When we get a few more books, we can vote and even set the next two or three book tours well-through the summer and into the fall. See--a book club that you can even do from your summer vacation since all it takes is a quick blog entry to participate.

15 comments:

Tina / Anxious Changer said...

Have to think about the next book... But, I am almost done with The Children of Men and am formulating my question... :)

Anonymous said...

I haven't been reading Children of Men, but I'll chime in to say that I thought The Time Traveler's Wife was really interesting. There is a quote from that book that still gets me whenever I think about it. I'm looking forward to participating in the future book tours.

ms. c said...

I LOVED The Time Traveller's Wife. Certainly one of my favorite books of the past few years.
Whatever you tell me to read, I will. I'm just not participating this time because I'll be out of town and unable to post.
Happy reading everyone, and can't wait for your reviews.

Anonymous said...

Waiting for Daisy sounds great - thanks for the tip... I might have to order it right now. I'm getting much comfort these days from reading about other people's struggles - similar to my own. This memoir sounds like it's just what the doc is ordering up for me.

S said...

I really really like Alfonso Cuaron, but that comment is so ignorant that his creative brilliance has just been knocked down a peg or two in my eyes.

*sigh*

BUT, here are some great reads for the next book tour:

The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood......although, given that we're reading Children of Men, it might be too similar, since it's a futuristic view of infertility in a ultra-religious totalitarian state.

The Red Tent, by Anita Diamant
Sarah: A Novel, by Marek Halter

Both of these are more religious themed (The Red Tent dealing with Rachel and Leah, and Sarah with the patriarch Abraham's wife); however, it might be a good topic, since there is always that unending debate of "God's will" vs. "man's will". The latter book tells the story through Sarah's perspective, and it made me cry, because the emotions are so raw and jumps at you off the page.

I'm plowing through Children of Men, and I can think of many different questions...ack!

Anonymous said...

I know I'm not on board with Children of Men this time around (no time to read AND think at the moment, although I'm working on it!) But I'm looking forward eagerly to your reviews! I also have to highly recommend The Time Traveler's Wife. Love, love, LOVE that book. Definitely worth a tumble, yo!

And as for the male equivalent of "Barren Bitches," how about "Blank-Shooting Bastards"?

Just a thought.

I'll go away now.

Bea said...

I am so going to get my act together for one of these.

I vote Time Traveller's Wife. I did think of something the other day as well, but it's gone now. I'll let you know if I remember.

Bea

Sara said...

I won't be able to get Children of Men in time, but hope to join you in the future.

I loved the Time Traveller's Wife also. It's really a lovely book. Heck, I'd probably read it again if it was chosen, and given how short life is and how many good books there are out there that I haven't read yet, that's a pretty glowing recommendation.

Blank-shooting Bastards?

Misfiring Misters?

Short-bus Sperm Shooters?

Sunny said...

The Red Tent is great BUT The Timetravelers Wife is my ALL TIME FAVE BOOK!!!! I couldn't put it down or stop crying in the end! Everyone should read that book at one point in your life!

I might just join you on the book discussion. Let me check out the book!

Kir said...

has a decision been made? I just read the reviews for Waiting for Daisy and I think I'd like it. However, both books look good . The Red Tent is one of my favorite books of all time, it is the reason that I will name a daughter Rachel because she was infertile like me. :)

Erin said...

I loved The Time Traveler's Wife--fabulous book. But I'm voting for the other one since I've already read it.

carrie said...

I'd love to join the book group! I don't think I have time to read Children of Men (though I will try) and either of the suggestions for next month sound good.

I also came across this book: Crossing the Moon: A Journey through Infertility by Paulette Bates Alden (http://tinyurl.com/2ssg9l) that might be interesting too.

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh, let's please do The Time Traveler's Wife. I devoured it the first time I read it - I'd love to reread it again with a purpose!

GLouise said...

I loved the Time Traveller's Wife, but I would love an excuse to go buy the "Daisy" book.

Anonymous said...

I'm half-way through Children of Men, so I'm in on the book group, too (wasn't sure I'd get the book in time from the library).

I also loved Time Traveller's Wife, but I'd really like an excuse to read Waiting for Daisy.

Another book that I would recommend is The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Like Time Traveller's Wife, it isn't centrally about infertility, but it does deal with infertility and adoption. It's a really interesting book, besides.